Have you read or heard about some awesome invention or technological breakthrough, and later mused where did it go? Why it was not improved? This has been very much applicable to the military technology all round the world.
In this context, here is a list of 6 awesome weapons which history has totally obliterated:
1. Greek Fire
– the invention for the same dates back to the year 678, when the Arabs had seized the harbor city of Constantinople for the fifth year in a row. This is when Byzantine navy brought in magnanimous flame throwers today known as “Greek fire”. The Byzantine passed it from one generation to another and did not let the secret of the fabrication of the weapon come out. However, till date it is a secret since, the new empire made sure that the previous ones, with their family and advisors were killed to death.
2. Obsidian knives
– the obsidian knives are the sharpest blade which is known to exist. It was the Aztecs which utilized these super sharp blades on the edges of the maquahuitl sword. This rendered some of the most fatal beheading! These were obliterated when the European traders initiated contact with the localities. It was then, that the obsidian knives were no more used. It was re-discovered in the middle of the 20th century, when an anthropologist Don Crabtree found about it.
3. Fire resistant clothing
– around the time slot of the 12th and 13th century, the battles in the Middle East involved chemical explosive and liquids which were flammable. In order to deal with this, the Muslim fighter developed fire proof suits at a later period. However, this too was long forgotten until the 19th This was when the modern firefighters rediscovered the fire – retardant clothing.
4. Naval mines
– the need of the naval mines initiated around the 14th and 15th century, when the Chinese had excelled land mines. However, they could not take care of the enemy junk which was found floating in their rivers. In order to deal with this, the Chinese warlords inculcated sea mines to their weapon repository. This is when they initiated utilizing the sea mines. This technology was used again in the year 1778, during the Revolutionary war.
5. Ancient Torpedoes
– the history of naval battles indicate that to sink an enemy ship was really tedious. The only way out included storming it, smashing it or smuggling it. But all of these implied getting way close to the ship. Hence, even more than 700 years ago, the Muslim developed torpedo boats. This could sink the ships from a safe distance. Yet again, there has been reference of a torpedo strengthened by a built-in rocket that was effectively launched against enemy ships.
6. 14th century cruise missile
– The Chinese invented Flying Crow with magic fire. The inspiration behind these weapons was fire birds. However, the fire birds were alive. Hence, the flying crow were, developed later included, dummy birds which inculcated bamboo frames and paper skin, with an explosive warhead. The explosion resulted in acting as a good combat.