If we work with a lot of people, in a job where we’re interacting with various personalities a lot, shaking hands, traveling, then burning specific herbs on a regular basis can help keep our energetic body in balance.
We can also use the burning of plants to remove harmful bacterias and other antagonists from our bodies and environments.
Here is a list of some of the most potent, burnable herbs:
- Sage, White Sage, and Desert Sage/Rose
- Cedar, Pine, Aspen, and Blue Spruce
- Bay Leaf
- Usnea (also known as Old Man’s Beard)
- You might also consider burning Lavender, Peppermint, Spearmint, Calendula, and Palo Santo.
Know the history
Burning herbs is one of the oldest and purest methods of cleansing a person, group of people, or space and of getting rid of unwanted spirits. The practice dates back to prehistoric times and it’s been documented as having been used in every corner of the world by our ancestors.
Native Americans and Pagans use sage, cedar, and pine for spiritual purification, inclusion in medicine bundles and amulets, and to invite divine-Beings to participate in sacred ceremonies.
Benefits of burning sage
Scientists have observed that when burned, sage disinfects the air by killing a significant amount of airborne bacterias. It also releases negative ions, which remove pollen, mold spores, bacteria, viruses, and other allergies from the air. Negative ions have another powerful benefit: they increase our levels of serotonin, which is proven to reduce depression, stress, and feelings of detachment from others. Seratonin also boosts energy levels, improves workflow, and increases creativity.
How to burn sage
- To safely burn these herbs, consider using a container. Abalone shells are great because of the shape, they are easy to hold when walking around the space, and they can take the heat created from the burning herbs.
- Before you light up, remember to open a door or window as the unwanted energy you are trying to clear must have a pathway to get out.
- Light your sage, grab the sage as far from the end you are burning as possible. Hold the sage at a 45-degree angle, light the sage, let it burn for about 20 seconds and then gently blow out the flame so that you see orange embers on one end. Then you can start the process of clearing your space.
- While burning sage recite a prayer or mantra.
NOTE: No advice is offered or given in this article or this publication.