Science is amazing. And this is applicable to every field associated with science. So, while you are almost sure of the organs of your body or the organs which are of vital importance in the human body? You are in for some surprise.
Indeed, just recently a new organ has been discovered. And no, it was not hiding somewhere. It was, in fact, right in front, but, somehow could not gather enough attention. However, it seems now it has done.
What is the new organ?
The organ is known as mesentery. In accordance with the new definition, it is a double fold of peritoneum. It is the lining of the abdominal cavity, which is able to hold the intestine to the wall of the abdomen.
If you have been a knowledge buff, you must already know what mesentery meant all this while. Previously it was thought to be just a few fragmented structures in the digestive system. However, just recently the scientists realized that it, in fact, is a continuous organ.
Who discovered it?
The discovery of mesentery as a new organ goes to a researcher at the University Hospital Limerick, J Calvin Coffey. In accordance with him it is the unfurling of an entirely new era of science.
With the discovery of the new organ, it will be easier to categorize abdominal disease. In fact, as Coffey says- “When we approach it like every other organ… we can categorize abdominal disease in terms of this organ.”
- The anatomy of the structure is established.
- The researchers also do know every aspect with regards to its anatomy.
- Hence, the next step is to find out with respect to the function.
- It is imperative to find out the function of the organ. It is because understanding the function of the organ will enable to identify the abnormal function. And, as soon as the abnormality is identified, it will give information with regards to the diseases.
- So, very soon the researchers will have a new field of mesenteric science.
The entire research pertaining to the discovery of the new organ has been published in The Lancer medical journal.
Has this new organ being accepted by the medical studies?
Well, this is definitely one question you need an answer about. After all, speculation, analysis and research continue to change things. But, as per this organ is concerned:-
- The medical students are now being taught that mesentery is a distinct organ.
- The world’s famous medical textbook, Gray’s Anatomy, has also updated this new definition.
As of present, the medical students and researchers are now investigating the role that mesentery will have in the realm of abdominal diseases. The discovery has definitely rekindled the hope that it will lead to new treatments as well.
So, next time you are asked about the organs of the human body, do not forget to mention ‘mesentery’! Again, the heart, brain, kidneys, liver and lungs are the vital organs, but there are other others too which make sure to keep you healthy and the total number goes to 79!
featured image © J Calvin Coffey, D Peter O’Leary, Henry Vandyke Carter