Groceries are one of the expenses we can’t avoid, but can control it’s lifespan. Using these hacks will help you to preserve groceries longer, which means more money left in your pocket as well. Here is what you need to do:
1. To slow down the process of ripening for your bananas use the plastic wrap trick. Once you buy bananas, cut a long thin strip of plastic and wrap it around the crown of the banana crunch. You can store the bananas on the counter top.
2. The vinegar hack will prevent your berries from getting mushy and old. In order to prepare the vinegar solution do the following:
- Put the berries into the bowl, add half cup of white or apple cider vinegar along with 5 cups of water.
- Mix the berries with water thoroughly, drain them and let them totally get dry. Now you can store them safely in the fridge.
3) If you have some salad greens left, make them last longer the following way:
- Wash and dry the greens, place them in the bowl.
- Put the layer of paper towel on top the greens and seal tightly with a plastic wrap.
- Store in the fridge.
Double check during the week the paper towel and change once it gets wet, as it is absorbing the moisture from the greens.
4) To keep broccoli and celery fresher and longer wrap them up with aluminum foil.
5) This hack will help you store even asparagus, parsley and cilantro in the fridge. Plus they look very cute in jars, don’t they? Trim the stems of the herbs, fill up a jar with a bit of water and place herbs in. Cover with a plastic bag and don’t hesitate to store it in the fridge.
Use these hacks to extend the life of your groceries!