A woman who was suffering from an almost life threatening disease of rheumatoid arthritis, her total treatment procedure which was done using a device which reduced inflammation by stimulating the vagus nerve. This is the topic of our discussion here. There is a huge role played by our brain in controlling body inflammation to a large extent. People suffering from high blood pressure, depression and even digestive complaints might be benefitted by our discussion.
Defining the vagus nerve
Vagus nerve, which is the longest nerve in our body, originates from the brain and extends through the neck to the heart, lungs, liver and spleen. The vagus nerve is also known as the rest and digest hormone.
What is vagal tone
Vagus nerve tone is the main activator of the parasympathetic nervous system. It is measured by tracking the breathing rate along with the heart rate of a person. If the vagal tone is very high the it signifies that the body is able relax very faster after any sort of stress.
Associations of high vagal tone
Higher vagal tone means that the body systems are going on at a healthy rate. This means better digestion and blood sugar level along with low blood sugar level. High vagal tone is also symbolic of much better mood and reduced anxiety. The most interesting functions played by the vagus nerve would be to study the gut microbiome which is present ad respond accordingly to modulate inflammation by releasing pathogenic as well as nonpathogenic bacteria.
Low vagal tone significance
Low vagal tone signifies the virtues of cardiovascular strokes and condition, diabetes, depression and severe fatigue syndrome among others. It also affects the inflammatory conditions which include every autoimmune diseases which occur in our body like rheumatoid arthritis, endometriosis, inflammatory bowel disease and autoimmune thyroid conditions and more.
How to increase the vagal tone?
As we have come to know that the vagal tone could be increased by using a device which stimulated our vagus nerve. One can easily have complete access to the vagus nerve your own, regular practice is required to do it properly. Though each and every person is genetically predisposed to a wide range of vagal tone of the body, but change can be easily brought to it. Some of the techniques to tone t vagus nerve are mentioned below –
- It can be done by rhythmic and slow diaphragmatic breathing. When you breathe from the diaphragm instead of the lungs tones and stimulates your vagus nerve.
- Slow and steady humming can help in toning the vagus nerve as it is connected to your vocal cords. It can be mechanically stimulated by humming a song or repeatedly chanting ‘OM’. Speaking is also beneficial for vagal tone as it is connected to the vocal cords.
- Washing the face with lots of cold water might help as it stimulates the vagus nerve.
- Loving-kindness meditation is very helpful as it develops a sense of goodwill for yourself as well as others.
- The presence of gut microbiome must be regulated as any healthy gut bacteria creates a positive impact on the vagus nerve and increases its tone.
The impact of such basic and simple practices on the overall health conditions is very profound. People suffering from digestive problems, blood pressure issues, improper inflammatory condition as well as depression could be benefitted from changing their vagal tone. It is well known that the meditation and breathing exercises improve our health and now we have the privilege of learning how that works practically.