Culture Health & Beauty Nature

Aloe Vera – Ancient Plant of Immortality

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of Immortality

Aloe vera which is known to have many health benefits was considered in ancient Egypt as “the plant of immortality” and its beauty-enhancing properties have been utilized since the ancient civilizations of Africa, China, Greece, Spain and Arabia. It has been historically used to treat many medical ailments ranging from asthma, diabetes, obesity, ulcers, burns and also leprosy.

The large number of useful properties of Aloe Vera

– This plant is composed of 95% water but the rest 5% contains large amounts of extremely healthy enzymes. The aloe vera carries more than 200 bioactive compounds which include enzymes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and even some polysaccharides.

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of ImmortalityAncient Chinese and Egyptians used aloe vera to treat burns, wounds, and reduce fever.

The compounds are very helpful for the body as they promote nutrient absorption. The plant also contains high levels ofiron, calcium, zinc, copper, magnesium and potassium. There are also some antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties associated with the plant, it is very helpful in detoxifying the body and supporting the immune system.

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of ImmortalityIn 1944, the Japanese who were exposed to the “A” bomb applied aloe gel to their wounds and reported faster healing and less scaring.

Vitamin B12 is present in large amounts in this plant, because of its presence only in animal based foods aloe vera is essential for vegetarians. Vitamin B12 is essential in producing new red blood cells.

An age old verified treatment

– The aloe vera plant was considered to be the powerhouse which contained secrets of everlasting life, beauty and also health. In ancient times it was also well-known as “the plant of immortality.” This plant was used as part of the daily beauty routines of the famous queens of Egypt like Nefertiti and Cleopatra. After their death even the the corps of legendary women were covered by aloe vera because of its anti-bacterial as well as anti-fungal properties.

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of ImmortalityTwo Egyptian queens, Nefertiti and Cleopatra used Aloe vera as part of their beauty treatments.

 Aloe Vera used in ancient Egypt

– Recovered in the Thebes in 1858, the “papyrus of Eber” dated 1,550 BCE, during the period Amen-Hotep, contained detailed description of pain soothing as well as the anti-inflammatory properties of this plant. Mahometans of Egypt even used the aloe vera plant as a sacred religious symbol.

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of Immortality

Aloe Vera used in ancient Rome

– While Nero reigned on Rome during the 1st century AD, the physician Dioscorides travelled with the entire Roman army throughout the world in search of new medicinal remedies. He also wrote many books describing his findings, the first of such books was the “De MateriaMedica” which was aimed at teaching pharmaceutics. This book contained detailed descriptions of treatments and prescriptions for a number of illnesses. In one of the chapters of this book containing details of plant therapy, he described the aloe vera plant as one the most preferred healing plants.

Aloe Vera - Ancient Plant of ImmortalityDe Materia Medica in Arabic, Spain, 12th-13th century

Aloe Vera used in ancient China

–According to ancient Chinese literature aloe vera was considered as an important ingredient in medical treatment from the times of the expeditions of Marco Polo.“Lu-hui,” which translates into “black deposit” in Chinese is the dried up juice of aloe vera plant and was used since the 11th century. The plant was also described as the “Method of Harmony,” and played a major role in the daily household operations of every Chinese. It was considered as one of the best treatments against bacterial and fungal infections.

Aloe Vera – Ancient Plant of Immortality
5 (100%) 8 votes

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *