The advice and warning comes from Food Standards Agency, according to which the bacteria responsible for most food poisoning is spread through water splashes during chicken cleaning.
Therefore the agency advises the consumers to stop washing the chicken before cooking in order to prevent contamination with Campylobacter – the most common type of food poisoning in the UK. It may lead to serious health issues and even death.
According to the Food Standards Agency’s research two-fifth of cooks admit that washing chicken is a part of their food preparation routine. And most of the housewives do the same procedure at home, right? But according to the agency, splashed water droplets can spread Campylobacter bacteria on to work surface, clothing, skin and basically contaminate all the area you work in.
Every year 280, 000 people in UK are affected with food poisoning and four our five cases are caused by contaminated chicken. Usually people suffer from such symptoms as vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. But in some cases it leads to more serious health issues, like bowel syndrome, reactive arthritis and Guillain-Barre syndrome, which is a very serious condition of the nervous system. Kids under five and older people are most at risk.
FSA chief executive Catherine Brown said: “Although people tend to follow recommended practice when handling poultry, such as washing hands after touching raw chicken and making sure it is thoroughly cooked, our research has found that washing raw chicken is also common practice,. That’s why we’re calling on people to stop washing raw chicken and also raising awareness of the risks of contracting Campylobacter as a result of cross-contamination.”
featured image source