Summer is a perfect time for collecting the fruit and making the most delicious desserts to treat your family and friends. And how can you spend the summer without baking the all favorite traditional apple pie?
Here is what you need for the pie crust:
Flour – 2 cups
salt – ½ teaspoon salt
shortening – 2/3 cup
water – 6 tablespoons
For the filling:
apples, peeled, cored and sliced- 6
lemon juice -1 tablespoon
sugar -1/2 cup
flour- 1/4 cup
brown sugar -1/4 cup packed
nutmeg -1/4 teaspoon
butter- 1 tablespoon
What you need to do:
1. First of all preheat the oven to 400F
2. Prepare the crust: mix flour with salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the shortening either with fingers or by a knife until it becomes the size of small peas. Pour the 6 spoons of water and toss the dough with a fork. Mix the dough until all the ingredients are combined, if needed add some more water. Divide the dough into two part, wrap it up and send to the fridge.
3. Preparing the filling: toss the apples with lemon juice, let them stay while you preparing the sugar. Combine the sugar, flour, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add apples and mix until they are totally covered with the mixture.
4. Prepare the pie plate, take out the dough and roll it over the plate. Place the apple mixture inside.
5. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the apple mixture on top.
6. Take out the second ball of dough, roll it out to be enough to cover the whole pie and flute the edges. Don’t forget to cut the slits on top of the crust, so the steam can escape.
7. To make the golden cover – whisk one egg with a pinch of salt and brush it on top of the pie.
8. Cover the pie with a foil to avoid over browning and bake for 25 minutes. After that remove the foil and continue baking for another 25 minutes to make it crispy on top.
And your apple pie is ready. It is better served with vanilla ice cream on the side or with vanilla sauce. Though even plain you will enjoy for sure.