Due to the fact that soy milk contains no lactose and is low in fat and cholesterol, when fortified it contains needed vitamins mineral and calcium, many families have resorted to choosing it over the regular cow milk all in the name of trying to improve their nutrition. Fortified soy milk is even a good source of protein, iron, B vitamins and calcium, while being low in saturated fats and cholesterol. Sounds good on the surface, right? The only problem is that research has shown that consuming soy milk can put your health in serious danger . Take a look what soy milk consists of:
- Soy milk (Filtered water, whole soybeans)
- Cane Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Natural Flavor
- Calcium Carbonate
- Vitamin A palmitate
- Vitamin D2
- Vitamin B12
Some if not all of these ingredients look not so bad. But have you thought of what carrageenans are? They are commonly used in the food processing industry for gelling, stabilizing and thickening. Carrigeenans are not only indigestible, they have no nutritional value at all.
It is totally up to your own choice whether to consume soy milk or no, but being informed is the best way to make a decision. The topic of soy has been discussed for years already and there are certain evidences proving that it can have harmful effects on your overall health, like:
1. Soybeans have large quantities of natural toxins which can influence estrogen levels. Just two glasses of soy milk per day can change the hormones level in women’s body and change the menstrual cycle.
2.Due to the haemagglutinin found in soy milk your red blood cells can clump together.
3.Unfortunately 99% of soy is genetically modified, which means it has the highest amount of pesticide contamination levels.
4. All soy products have high level of phytic acid, which inhibits the assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.
5. High level of aluminum in soy can have a negative effect on the nervous system and the kidneys. Researchers also prove the connection between soy consumption and Alzheimer disease.
6. Fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures during processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein. This makes them dangerous for human digestion.
7. Soy also contains genistein and daidzein, which are toxic usoflavones and can stimulate the growth of existing breast cancer.
8. Such element as phytoestrogen in soy is able to discupt endocrine function, can cause infertility and breast cancer in women.
9. Due to the high levels of goitrogens, the production of thyroid hormones can be blocked.
10. Nitrates, potent carcinogens, are formed during the spray-drying process.
featured image: source