All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.
– Martin Buber
For any traveller it is of utmost importance that one tries out as many dishes as possible so that they get a taste of all the different flavors which are present throughout their travel. Here are some of the popular dishes which tingle your taste buds.
1. Fresh coconuts of St Lucia
– Coconuts have nutrient-rich water present inside it which is best when consumed straight from the fruit. On the beaches St Lucia beach, by spending some coins one can easily buy a fresh juicy coconut.
2. Bagels from New York City
–No bagel can be compared to the New York bagel. General public opinion is that the Zabars and H&H provide the best bagels.
3. Al Khalas dates from Oman
– Dates are much more than just a little snack in this part of the world. The juicy and sweet sun dried fruits have been able to sustain the local people for centuries.
4. Pastel de natas from Portugal
– Custards in Portugal are quite unique. And the best place in Portugal to get them is in Pasteis de Belém located in Lisbon.
5. Aperitivo of Milan, Italy
– It is the best place to have aperitivo – which is a ritual of having early evening drinks accompanied with endless quantities of free food.
6. Clam cakes of US
–If someone has not yet tasted the clam cakes in Rhode Island in US – which is often served with clam chowder – then you are not a true traveller.
7. Lingonberry juice from Sweden
– In Sweden you get to wake up with a full cup of sweet, steaming lingonberry juice from a vat carried on the backs.
8. Beijing dumplings from China
– Dumplings have a large variety of flavors in China such as lamb along with carrot, pork with cabbage and even pork and garlic shoots.
9. Viennese Sachertorte of Austria
– As a pudding in Austria one must eat a Sachertorte. Rich and dense in flavor these are freshly made in Vienna.
10. Sushi or sashimi from Japan
– One can taste a wide variety of sushi from the Tokyo’s Tsukiji fish market, or in some high end restaurants such as Sushi Sora of the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo.
11. Grasshoppers of Mexico
– One can consume grasshoppers which come in all shapes as well as size in the markets of Oaxaca located in southern Mexico.
12. Ripe figs from Spain
– Sweet and sensuous fruits, figs are the best when consumed straight from a tree on a warm sunny afternoon.
13. A Full Scottish breakfast
– The Scots start their day with a combination of tatties (potato scones) along with a slice of black pudding.
14. Gaufres from France
–Meert located in the oldest regions of France has some of the best Gaufres dating back to the18th century.
15. Laal mass from India
– Laal maas which is a hot Rajasthani curry containing goat meat, contains lots and lota of chilies along with onion, yogurt and garlic.
16. Ceviche from Peru
– It is a combination of raw fish, raw onion, coriander and chilies which are tossed in a bowl of lime juice.
17. Sichuan hot pot from China
–The center of Sichuan’s fiery cuisine is Chengdu. Here most of the dishes contain loads of Sichuan peppercorns which leave the tongue-tingling.
18. Tom yum soup, Thailand
Some of Thailand’s spiciest, tangiest tom yum soups can be eaten from roadside stalls. The hot and sour dish can be whipped up in a second by street vendors using fresh lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and galangal.
19. Alba white truffles, Italy
The best way to sample the world’s finest truffles? Freshly grated onto a plate of tender pasta, apparently – the perfect foil for the nutty, earthy flavours that truffles are prized for.
20. Pizza in Napoli, Italy
In this city of superlative grub, L’Antica Pizzeria – which serves only tomato sauce or tomato sauce with mozzarella is the best. It puts all imitators to shame.