Being an empath is when you are affected by other people’s energies, and have an innate ability to intuitively feel and perceive others. Your life is unconsciously influenced by others’ desires, wishes, thoughts, and moods. Being an empath is much more than being highly sensitive and it’s not just limited to emotions.
Empaths can perceive physical sensitivities and spiritual urges, as well as just knowing the motivations and intentions of other people. You either are an empath or you aren’t. It’s not a trait that is learned. You are always open, so to speak, to process other people’s feelings and energy, which means that you really feel, and in many cases take on the emotions of others. Many empaths experience things like chronic fatigue, environmental sensitivities, or unexplained aches and pains daily. But are there exact ways to find out if you are an empath? Here are few signs showing that you might be one:
1. You seek balance and comfort, instead of success or ambitions.
2. When you hear a troubling story, you feel heavy for days.
3. You love connecting with others in one to one talks.
4.You always need a time on your own, as being with others is not only rewarding but exhausting as well.
5. You find powerful meaning in music and art.
6. You avoid crowds. You become overwhelmed by all of the energy you pick up on.
7. Most of the time you are using your own energy for helping others.
8. You are not a big fan of living in the huge city and if it was up to you, your house would be somewhere in the forest or mountains.
9. You don’t like to watch violent movies or TV shows.
10. You do not function well when your energy is spread between many trivial things. You prefer to dive deeply into one important “passion project”.
11. You are often considered a “mom” in your friend’s group.
12. You experience trauma when a loved one is hurting.
13. When your friends need advice they go to you.
14. You need to spend time being creative. You may choose to paint, knit, bake, write, or sing – it doesn’t matter as long as it brings beauty to your life.
15. You are known for being a good listener.
16. You become stressed when you are over-stimulated.
17. Most people do not understand you.
18. You will go out of your way to avoid stressful traffic.
19. You feel a healing energy when you spend time in nature. It connects you to the world and grounds you to yourself.
20. You really don’t like small talks.
21. You need to wear something comfortable. If you don’t, you will feel distracted all day long.
22. You most easily express your emotions through creative endeavors.
23. People who don’t know you well may consider you shy and cold.
24. You avoid confrontation at all costs.
25. When you have a disagreement with a friend, you often feel drained for days.
26. You are often overwhelmed with fear and sadness.
27. You are often overwhelmed with joy.
28. You have troubles in controlling your emotions. You often feel compelled to howl with grief or squeal with excitement. However, you don’t want to draw that kind of attention to yourself.
29. You often wish you felt things less deeply.
30. You’ve been told to grow a thicker skin by some, and to stop holding in your emotions by others.
31. When all is said and done, you wouldn’t trade this gift for anything.
featured image: source