Pick up a tabloid, newspaper or simply scroll through health articles, there are more people than ever getting into the trap of obesity. Yeah! Indeed, the number is enhancing by leaps and bounds. Definitely you can attribute it to the modern lifestyles, way of eating and the quality of food.
But, then it is you who is getting affected by it, and thus you need to take care about it. You cannot obliterate the fact that being obese implies a plethora of unwanted medical health problems. Hence, you need to act like right now!
A global problem
Well, all round the globe more than 1 billion adults are overweight. Again, 300 million are obese.
In fact, in accordance with a study:
- In the United States, 66 % adults are overweight. Amidst these, 66 % which are overweight, 32 % fall in the category of obese people.
- In Japan and some African nations the obesity level is less than 5 %.
- In China the obesity rate is not very high; however, there are cities where the rate is up to 40%.
The worst numbers are associated with childhood obesity. And, it has become a worldwide issue.
Let’s take the example of the United States; there is plenty of nutrient rich food. Similarly, there is the ease of accessibility to fast foods and sweets. Again, due to the lifestyle which is followed the activity levels have gone down. And, the result is consumption of more calories than burning them. It leads to obesity.
Is obesity different from being overweight?
Yeah! If all this while you have been thinking, they were same, you need a check. For this you need to figure out your Body Mass Index (BMI).
- A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
- A BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.
Now, it is imperative for the readers to understand that diabetes, heart problems and also some types of cancer can result from obesity. Hence, you really need to find a solution for the same.
World Health Organization suggests
An integrated approach is required for fighting with obesity, which should include:
- Promoting healthy eating habits
- Encouraging exercise
- Development of public policies which promote accessibility to healthy, low fat and high fiber foods
- Pursuing training of the healthcare professionals, so that they are able to support people who need to lose weight
- All, these will in turn avoid gaining weight
As an individual you need to follow the below guidelines for tackling obesity:
- You are required to consume more quantity of fruit, nuts, vegetables and whole grains.
- Exercising should be a rule of your life. At least 30 minutes a day will do well for you.
- You need to minimize the consumption of fatty and sugary foods.
- Cooking oil should not have animal-based fats; in fact, it should be vegetable-based.
So, go ahead people, your body cannot take that extra fat. Exercise, eat healthy and live long and happily.