Almost every aspect associated with space, extra terrestrial, planets and research pertaining to the same incites speculation and allurement. And, this is the acumen, the first FRB detected in 2007 has resulted in. Immense mystery surrounds the same till date!
But, before going into the details of the same, it will be worth to know what these FRB are!
What are fast radio bursts?
Well, some mystical radio bursts from the space have left the astronomers confused and skeptical for years. It is the cosmic waves which are called as Fast Radio bursts. They were discovered almost a decade ago.
What have been the explanations for this phenomenon?
The explanations included:
- Colliding black holes
- Dark matter induced collapse of pulsars
- And the latest is that it is indicative of an alien life.
What does the latest research say?
The well known physicist and cosmologist, Abraham Loeb and co-author Manasvi Lingam has suggested that the FRB could be -“artificial beams which have been set up as beacons, or for driving light sails”.
- In accordance with the authors, they first felt that a better idea to explain the same will be that they are beacons, which imply transmitting the presence of alien civilizations.
- However, another important fact which could not be negated was that immense power expenditure was involved in fabricating of the beam.
- Thus, it is suggestive that there is likeability that high-powered beams are instead employed to propel spacecraft to “mildly relativistic speeds” utilizing light sails.
- In fact, working on the same of utilization of light sails, the researchers were really surprised to find that the beam frequency that has the capacity to power a light sail actually is the one which falls within the range of FRB frequency. Hence, they put forth- “it seems quite reasonable to hypothesize that the beams are being used to power light sails”.
Was there any other conclusion?
It is definite that their happen many conclusions to a particular research or hypothesis. And, this one too had many. However, the one which is noteworthy is that the likeable size of a light sail utilizing Fast Radio Bursts for propulsion would probably be having a mass of almost 1 million tons. This is indeed a value way greater than the human standards. This suggests that spaceship which is involved can be an “interstellar ark”.
What do the intellectual readers have to say about the theory?
There is immense probability that the intellectual readers might find the theory to sound similar. The reason for the same can be associated with the facts that there is a project which is being worked on, on a much smaller scale. It is The Breakthrough Starshot project. It is funded by the Russian entrepreneur Yuri Milner. The project has the objective to send tiny space probes to the nearest star system. The speed of the same is one-fifth of the speed of the light. They utilize light sails propelled by Earth-based lasers.
More research await the unfurling of the mystical FRB!