It is definite that the inhabitants of the present day are really proud of the latest in technology and innovation, which has made the lives more and more feasible. However, there are explorations and analysis, which have revealed that the ancestors of today were far more innovative and have fabricated some of the most amazing constructions.
For those who have any doubt in this, need to witness the roads designed, traced and built by the ancient Maya civilization.
These have been discovered in Guatemala, in close vicinity to the border with Mexico.
Where have these roads been found?
The late Maya preclassic city which nestled in Guatemala is El Mirador. It is in the heart of the Petén jungle. And it has been revealed that the first (yeah, you read that right!) network of super highways in the world was made right there.
- The framework of the archaeological project “Cuena Mirador” which is sprawling in more than 700 square kilometers has concluded this.
- The estimation is that El Mirador, which is also known as the “Kan” kingdom sprawls in an area of 2,158 square kilometers, within the Maya Biosphere Reserve.
- Guatemala has also been of significance to the Maya civilization and it has the highest pyramids.
- The project was carried out with high precision radar, known as LIDAR.
- LIDAR has the capacity to scan the terrains with a laser.
- It can also penetrate the vegetation at a rate of 56,000 points per second.
- With the use of 2D and 3D images it has aided in the identification of unique archaeological features.
What all have the experts found?
The experts have discovered cities, terraces, canals, walls, pyramids and the network of 17 roads. The roads were utilized for freight transport.
- In fact, in accordance with Hansen, the Guatemala was the first state in all of the Americas.
- There is a probability that it might have been the largest in the world.
- This massiveness was in both size and population.
- The estimation is that almost 1 million people lived here, before it collapsed around the year 150 B.C.
Which are the other sites of significance?
- For those of you inertest in the Mayan civilization, Tikal holds the position of the largest excavation site in America.
- In inculcates the most amazing archaeological reminiscent of the ancient Mayan civilization.
- Tikal is the most renowned natural and cultural reserve of Guatemala.
- Back since, 1955, it has been declared as the National park.
- In fact, in the year 1979 it was also declared the World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- It will be interesting for the readers to know that the El Mirador has even bigger cities than Tikal; the only aspect is they are still uncovered.
As in Guatemala, the research is continuing till date. And, the researchers hope to find more such fabrications, artifacts and novel sites.