Archeology Science

Studies Find That A Single Migration From Africa Populated The Rest of The World

It is known that modern humans appeared in Africa approximately 200, 000 years ago, but the question remains, how did our species continued to populate the rest of the planet? This unsolved mystery has been bothering scientists already for decades. But recent genetic discovery about possible migration might have an answer already.
The results have been published in the journal Nature, where three separate teams of geneticists survey DNA collected from various cultures around the globe came to conclusion, that all non-Africans today originated from a single population, which emerged in Africa between 50, 000-80, 000 years ago.

Migration-Africa-3
Three teams sequenced the genomes from 787 people getting extremely detailed scans of each. The genomes were taken from people of indigenous populations, like Basques, Mayans, Sherpa and many more. According to scientists, DNA of indigenous populations is substantial in understanding human history. The new information already changed the traditional understanding of human DNA look. During the investigation scientists aimed to answer the questions about the origin of people, how the population spread over to Australia, but the major point was to settle the question of human expansion from Africa. Back in 1980 a group of genetics proved that people emerged from Africa once around 50, 000 years ago and the discovered skeletons indicated that modem humans lived after in Asia, Australia and Europe.
On the other hand there is also a clue that some modern humans may have gone from Africa before 50, 000 years ago, maybe during an earlier wave of migration. For example, in Israeli researchers found skeletons dating back to 120, 000 and 90, 000 years old.

Migration-Africa-2
Starting from 2011, there were three teams of geneticists formed. One was investigating the genome of Aboriginals ,which resulted in collecting 83 genomes from Aboriginal Australians and 25 from people in Papua New Guinea. Another team consisted of 98 scientists who picked up 148 populations mainly from Europe and Asia, with couple of genomes from Africa and Australia. The last group was able to collect genomes from all six inhabited continents. After separate examinations of their data all three groups came to the same conclusion, that all non-Africans actually descend from one single migration of early humans from Africa. Though the results from inhabitants from Papua New Guinea pointed out that only 98 % of each person’s DNA can be traced from that single migration from Africa, while the other 2% seem to be much older. The same study revealed that groups have been separating from one another eventually. Some groups were leaving Africa after all which led to separation of the groups. Why would they leave Africa? According to the researchers, the changing rainfall patterns used to open corridors from Africa to Eurasia, and people could move in search of the food.

 

source: nytimes

Studies Find That A Single Migration From Africa Populated The Rest of The World
4.5 (90%) 4 votes

Add Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *